18 October 2011

Santiago, Chile: Where the Government Lives

After class today, Max and I went to visit el Palacio National de La Moneda, which is the seat of the Chilean president.  Originally constructed in 1784, it served as a mint (hence 'La Moneda', which means 'coin') until 1929, when it became the seat of the government.  It was partially destroyed in the 1973 bombings that marked the start of Chile's twenty-odd-year dictatorship, but has since been rebuilt.  We went with high hopes of being able to tour the inside, but had no such luck.


We were, however, able to visit the three subterranean floors of La Moneda.  These floors are billed as the National Chilean Cultural Center, but for all Max and I could tell, aside from the toy museum, the basement was just a place for the government employees to go eat in the cafes and play with giant games originally designed for children.  Naturally, Max and I joined in.  Max beat me at tic-tac-toe...

...then got insanely excited by this wheel that makes the man in the pictures on the inside look like he is moving.

Next, we both pretended we were dolls.  After that, we decided we'd better leave before they kick us out.

Behind La Moneda is the biggest flagpole I think I have ever seen, but the Chilean flag does look nice against the blue sky.

Finally, we got some ice cream, then ate it on the lawn in front of La Moneda, since it is finally warm here.  Though it would have nice to see the inside, I'm glad I got to see La Moneda before I leave Santiago.

2 comments:

grandma feldt said...

the doll picture is really cute! Love ya

linda feldt said...

I'm with Grandma, the doll picture is great. The gov't building itself is impressive and you look like you are having some fun despite the challenging level of spanish class studying. Be safe. Love & prayers mom