03 October 2011

Santiago, Chile: My First Day of School

Today was my first day of school!  We began at 8am, with a placement test, and then we started classes at 9am.  Henceforth, my classes will be from 9am-1pm.  They placed us based on how well we knew our how to conjugate verbs, which is (for me, and apparently for other people as well) the hardest part.  I had forgotten a lot of what I learned in high school--it was seven years ago, after all--but it all started coming back to me!  I think this week will be mostly review, albeit a much needed one, but they let you take a test every Friday to place into the next level if you are ready, so we'll see how it goes.  For now, there are only three people in my class, and we all started today.  Both of the others are from Germany (so of course, they speak English also)--the boy, Max, just graduated from high school, and the girl, Kim, is just two years younger than me.  We all get to practice all lot, which is great, but I was definitely way more tired than I thought after class.  The professors speak only in Spanish (all part of the immersion!), so I have to pay attention 100% of the time or I immediately get lost.  The fact that this is what my students at Lincoln must have felt like all the time is a sobering one.  Anyhow, more on school (and hopefully another Santiago sight!) tomorrow!

2 comments:

grandma feldt said...

Sounds like you will learn alot with only 3 students. What did you do in the afternoon? Your dad went skiing tonight, water 60 air 68. Love ya

linda feldt said...

Glad you survived day one of class. Hang in there kiddo. Yes dad got october in for water skiing. Be safe love & prayers mom