02 November 2011

Buenos Aires, Argentina: An Intro to the City

Firstly, I have found that Buenos Aires, like all of the Chilean cities I visited and the entire country of Spain, operates on a sort of reverse-day schedule--meaning the typical hours to be awake are 12pm to 5am, rather than the reverse.  This schedule resulted in an interruption of my typical blog-writing schedule, so to those of you how actually read this daily, I apologize.  Anyhow...on Monday, my first day in Buenos Aires, Anna and I began by exploring the cemetery.  It seems a bit strange, but it really is like an art museum.  Only the richest of the rich in Buenos Aires are buried there, so all the mausoleums (through whose doors you can actually see the coffins) are really beautiful.  There are, however, some houses that are no longer taken care of, either because the family died out or they stopped paying taxes or whatever.  In these mausoleums, the glass in the doors is broken, the ceilings are open to the environment, and you are about two feet away from a 100-year-old coffin.  Pretty creepy!

Perhaps the most famous grave in the cemetery (though a bit hard to find, as it is part of a family plot and has no obvious signage) is that of Eva Peron, wife of Argentinian president Juan Peron, actress, advocate for the poor, social work dynamo, martyr for the people due to her untimely death at age 33, and inspiration for the musical 'Evita'.  I was lucky to get this picture with no people, as this spot was the focus for hoards of tourists.

After the cemetery, Anna (my hostel friend from California) and I strolled through some of the parks in Recoleta, one of the city's nicer neighborhoods.

We then had a traditional Argentine lunch in the center, after which we took a two-hour walk through the Puerto Madero and Palermo neighborhoods. 

Monday evening, we went to a live drum show in an abandoned warehouse.  Though you did have to pay to get in, there were hardly any tourists, and it had the definite vibe of being a totally underground event.  In addition, the music was really good, and you could tell the people up there really loved what they were doing--it was well-worth the $7USD entrance fee!

Some beers with hostel friends (from England, Australia, Seattle, and Palo Alto) finished off a great first day in Argentina!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don´t know why I couldn´t post my last comment, but I´m going to try it again. First of all: Thank you for everything espcially that you care so much about me, but I am feeling better and better, so don´t worry. Your pictures look great as always and I am glad that you are having such a good time! miss & love u (Probably I am ging back to Germany on Friday, but I will keep you updatet about it) Besitoo :*

linda feldt said...

Well that is an interesting anonymous comment. Maybe you can clue me in. The drum show looks like it was a blast. Glad to see picture proof you are doing well. I will try and go online in the AM so to be more in sync with your new times. We fall behind an hour this weekend. Be safe love & prayers mom