04 November 2011

El Calafate, Argentina: Glaciar Perito Moreno

This morning, just before eight, I began my journey from El Calafate to Los Glaciares National Park, Patagonia, Argentina.  This picture was taken at a viewing point just before we entered the park.  The bus ride was about an hour and a half each way, and I spent the six hours I wasn't on the bus I spent being awed and amazed by Argentina's most famous glacier, Perito Moreno.  Because pictures really do speak louder than words--especially in this case--I am going to give a bit of information about the glacier I saw today, and then just let loose with a small sampling of my many photos.

This is Perito Moreno from about 6km away.  Named after an Argentine explorer, the glacier is one of 48 fed by the South Andes ice fields.  With an average height of over 70m above Lake Argentino, a total height of 170m, and a length of 30km, it is truly an impressive sight.  One of only three Patagonian glaciers that are still growing, the ice that falls of the front of the glacier is about 300 years old, meaning it takes about 300 years for the ice and snow from the top of the mountain to make it the 30km from the back of the glacier to the front.  The glacier feeds Lake Argentino, part of the third-largest fresh water reserve in the world, and the lake itself is also huge (it measures over 700m in depth at places).  I explored the glacier by boat and by foot, and it was equally impressive in both mediums.  With that said...

...here is a view of the south side of Perito Moreno from the boat.

Me in front of the glacier on the boat.  While it is spring in Patagonia, it is also the windy season, so hats and coats were much needed, especially on the water.

Shout out to Michigan!

Perito Moreno from the top access balcony in Los Glaciares National Park.

Me in front of the north side of the glacier.  I was really excited because a huge piece of ice just fell into the lake and made a big wave and loud crash!

Me in front of the north side of the glacier.  Here I was just excited because the glacier is awesome :-)


Iris, an Austrian friend of mine from the hostel, and I in front of the center of Perito Moreno.

Perito Moreno in all its glory!


Perito Moreno from a distance, with all the surrounding mountains and Lake Argentino.

As if the glacier wasn't enough, when I got back from the glacier to El Calafate, I walked to a lagoon just outside of the city and I saw wild flamingos.  Amazing.  Plan for tomorrow: ice climbing.  I can not wait :-)


4 comments:

grandma feldt said...

The pictures are awesome! Looks cold even tho you said it was warm. Wonderful seeing you on skype. love ya

linda feldt said...

Who needs Alaska you now now have the glacier experience, isn't it sensational!!! Loved the shout out to Michigan. So happy for you and all you are accomplishing. Talk to you tonight on skype. Love & prayers mom

Danny Stern said...

Wow!!

A. Suzie said...

Beautiful, just beautiful Katie.
I love the mitten shot. And Thomas looks pretty good too from the blog of Nov. 3rd. lol

Love ya and stay safe.

A. Suzie and U. Ken