25 November 2011

Cusco, Peru: A Pseudo-Thanksgiving

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all!  Here in Cusco, the end of November marks the something else: the official start of the rainy season.  Because of this, every day I get to see skies like this while I am walking around!  I actually saw this while I was walking from Oropesa to Azul Wasi, and let me tell you, it was a good thing I had my raincoat!

After volunteering and a nice long bus ride back into town, it was time to make my own Thanksgiving!  The girl I live with, Christine (in the middle above), invited me to the ex-pat Thanksgiving dinner with her friends Sam and Emily, who used to live in the house that I live in and are now teaching English in Cusco until May (they are also pictured above).
We had a delicious feast of bread, sauco sauce (the Peruvian version of cranberries), mashed potatoes, broccoli and carrots, mashed cauliflower, homemade stuffing, chicken (no turkey), and wine.  Though it definitely wasn't the same as being at home with family (it was great to talk to you Skype yesterday, family!), it was still nice to have other American friends to celebrate the holiday with.  I will say one thing...I am excited for that turkey at Christmas!


3 comments:

linda feldt said...

thanks for sharing a picture of your thanksgiving dinner. The family thought it was great talking to you and it was a first skype experience for many. Miss you. Be safe love & prayers mom

grandma feldt said...

Looks like alot of food, glad you enjoyed it! Love ya

Katrin said...

Let me tell you: I miss those Turkeys as well :-) I mean there are Turkeys in Germany, but the ovens usually just aren't big enough.. So normally you just buy like a haunch and that's just not the same!
Take care and don't get too wet :)