13 September 2011

Valenica, Spain: A Fiasco and a Rest

After a five-hour bus ride from Granada to Alicante, a two-hour rest in the bus station, and a two-hour bus ride from Alicante, I finally arrived in Valencia at 9am this morning!  Fortunately, I was able to take a nap, after which I began to see the city, the main plaza of which is pictured above.

The first thing Anna, Kassie, and I sought out was paella, a traditional Spanish rice dish said to have originated in Valencia.  We tried the chicken and seafood paellas, and they were both excellent.

After lunch, we decided to spend a bit of time relaxing on the beach, which--since we all ended up falling asleep after the long bus ride--turned in to all afternoon on the beach!  It was nice, though, and aside from a few unwanted jellyfish, the water was great.

Following the beach we walked around the city a bit, then headed back to the apartment that we are staying in.  Situated directly in the city center, the view from the balcony is quite something.

Our final introduction to Valencia, courtesy of Cosimo (our apartment host...yay for couchsurfing.org), was a festival: Ocktoberfest de Espana.  While I doubt that it really reflected the true Oktoberfest, there were beer and sausages, and good fun was had by all!

3 comments:

grandma feldt said...

The internet has been out for 2 days,just got it fixed, but read your blogs a a. jonis. Your mom & dad will be home tonight. Sounds like you meant some nice friends to sight see with which is wonderful. Love ya

katrin7286 said...

Maybe you should come back to Germany for the real Oktoberfest? :) It starts like next weekend and is going on till October 3rd (don't ask me why it is called Oktoberfest and not Septemberfest ;-) )
I love following your blog. It keeps my head from going crazy with all this exams going on. :) Take care!

linda feldt said...

Dear Daughter I am back and you know I have to check out the other blogs and post on them. Did you miss me lets Skype. Loved the fountain picture glad you got a nap on the beach. Be safe love & prayers mom