01 December 2011

Cusco, Peru: A Bit More Culture

Today, some friends and I set out to explore some of the other sites on our tourist tickets.  Our first stop was the Monumento Pachacuteq, which you can see behind me.  Pachacuteq was one of the last and greatest Incan kings, and was the impetus behind many of the Incans' incredible architectural and agricultural advances, as well as some of their amazing city planning and constructions (including Machu Picchu).

Each floor of this tower was dedicated to explaining an aspect of Pachacuteq's life, and it was, in general, very well done.  Plus, the view of Cusco from the top was amazing!

After the monument, Sharon and I caught a taxi up to Saqsayhuaman, an archaeological site near Cusco.  Though much of the city is gone, the crazy walls with their incredible stonework were still visible, so we spent some time wandering about and admiring the craftsmanship in the ruins.

Check out how huge the stones that comprise the wall behind me are!  I am always amazed that the Incans managed to move these stones from so far away.

After Saqsayhuaman, Sharon and I walked up a nearby hill to see the statue of Christ that overlooks the city (and is incredibly well-lit at night).  Though its official name is Christo Blanco (white Christ), I have affectionately dubbed it Giant Jesus.

The view from Giant Jesus--all of Cusco laid out in the valley below us--was pretty spectacular, though this picture certainly does not do it justice.  All in all, Sharon and I had a great day exploring more of Cusco's culture!

2 comments:

grandma feldt said...

always enjoy reading your blog. Loveya

linda feldt said...

good to hear from you. The stones are truly amazing. Having hauled my share of small rocks from north dakota I can appreciate the difficulty of moving large ones without tractors!!! Only 15 days till we meet can't wait. Be safe love & prayers mom